WWF is looking for a Program Coordinator KAZA dreamfund to lead this ambitious 4,5 year program.
The Coordinator KAZA dreamfund is based in the KAZA region.
Shaped like a giant butterfly spreading its wings across southern Africa, the Kavango Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area (KAZA) is a jewel with a unique vision: to protect its globally significant wildlife populations, share resources across borders, whilst greatly enhancing the wellbeing of local communities. This breakthrough wildlife conservation initiative, that spans across parts of Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, is home to the world’s largest elephant population, 25% of Africa’s wild dogs, almost 20% of the continent’s lions and 15% of the world’s wild cheetahs. KAZA’s premise is that conservation can be the main economic driver of the region, resulting in thriving landscapes for people and wildlife.
Our dream is to secure the world’s largest population of elephants while providing a promising future for local people in KAZA. We imagine a thriving landscape in which everyone involved is cooperating to ensure sustainably protected natural resources that offer local communities a world of opportunities for present and future generations. This dream requires a paradigm shift – it’s conservation through sustainable development. With a bottom-up approach involving the local people from KAZA we want to activate the economic engine of KAZA: an economy that is based on enhancing the value of natural resources and meeting the sustained growth needs of the local communities. In this economy, elephants roam freely between safe havens and are recognized as important assets to the landscape and its economic development.
THE PILLARS TO SUCCESS
This dream reaches beyond just preserving what we have to a vision around how to build a sustainable future in a landscape that is at political and economic crossroads. With an integrated approach focusing on securing connectivity, water and safe havens, we are combining all necessary elements. The Dutch Postcode Lottery has awarded a 16.9 MEUR fund to the consortium of African Parks, Peace Parks Foundation and World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to realise this dream.
Now WWF is looking for a Program Coordinator to lead this ambitious 4,5 year program.
Role and responsibilities
- To inspire and engage all necessary stakeholders in the vision for the KAZA Dreamfund
- Build a team of all those people directly involved with the implementation of the KAZA Dreamfund programme
- Carefully consider and weigh the interests of all stakeholders in decision making
- Prepare and chair steering group meetings
- Clearly communicate steering group decisions to the consortium
- Ensuring interest of all stakeholders are taken into account during decision-making
- Ensuring good team spirit within the steering committee
- Prepare input for directors meeting and act as secretary for directors meeting
- Report to the lead applicant on program progress and responsible for instructing lead applicant on Steering Committee decisions
- Coordinate program planning between consortium
- Keep an overview of the technical and financial progress of the various strategies and ensure an up-to-date monitoring dashboard
- Consolidate progress reports for the different components of the program in close
collaboration with the program secretariat
- Contribute to and assist with communication materials for the Dutch Postcode Lottery in close collaboration with the program secretariat and the communications pillar
- Present program progress to the Lottery upon request of the lead applicant
- Be first focal point and spokesperson for the program for external stakeholders
- Academic education in the area of biology, environmental sciences or alike;
- At least 10 years of work experience in international nature conservation in the Southern African Region, preferably in a program or project management role;
- Relevant network of stakeholders in the KAZA region;
- Excellent communicator skills;
- Fluent English in writing and speaking
We are looking for a person who
- Is a strategic thinker, can set goals and implement a program based on an existing vision and strategy
- Innovative and entrepreneurial, knows how to build a program from scratch;
- Has an international orientation, who communicates easily and connects people;
- Has experience with speaking for large audiences and representing an organization
- Has the legal right to live and work in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia without employer sponsorship
Place in the organization
The Coordinator Dreamfund is based in the KAZA region, and reports to the Dreamfund directors meeting with a dotted line to the WWF NL director of Wildlife (Gert Polet).
Information and procedure
Are you interested in this role and do you recognize yourself in the above profile? Then we invite you to apply by sending an email and resume to Annemiek Dijkhuis (HR@wwf.nl) by 26 October 2020. A pre- employment screening process will be part of the application procedure.
How To Apply:
HR@wwf.nl) by 26 October 2020